Thursday, March 25, 2010

Is it in my head?

Yes. Yes it is in my head. And that's exactly what the problem is. It's in my head, and not on my computer screen.

All this week I've been writing and writing and writing, with nothing to show for it. 'half a page of scribbled lines' as Pink Floyd would say. For whatever reason, the things I'm trying to say just keep getting stuck somewhere between my brain and my fingertips.

Perhaps I change my system. Normally I sit down with either a notebook and physically write (shocking, isn't it?) or at the computer on Word and write, and rewrite, and consider. Right now that system isn't working. If I'm at the sink washing dishes, or driving to the store, or doing just about anything else, the ideas flow like water and posts practically write themselves. All in my head. When I sit down and try to put them out on the paper or screen, it just shrivels up and dies. Not fun.

Maybe I should just sit here and type it directly onto the 'compose' pain of my blog page, the way I'm doing now. Maybe it would flow better that way and would make some sense. Isn't that, in many ways, what the spirit of blogging is all about? It's funny that blogs have become such 'serious journalism' in some ways. It seems to me in many ways that a blog should be a place where you kind of 'speak' extemporaneously. Instead we have blogs that are carefully planned, composed, written, edited and revised. This is serious work! Maybe I'll try that, but no time right now.

So, sorry. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get my WoW thoughts out of my head and into this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment